Blueberry Oatmeal Bars (with spinach)
Nonstick cooking spray
2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup Smart Balance (trans-fat free soft tub spread), chilled
1 cup blueberry preserves
1/2 cup spinach puree
1. Preheat the oven to 375. Coat and 8x8 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine the oats, flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, and vanilla, and stir to mix well.
3. Add the margarine and cut it quickly into the dry ingredients with two knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal and is no longer powdery. Do not over-mix, bits of spread will still be visible.
4. Set aside about half of the oat mixture; press the rest of it firmly into the pan. Bake until lightly browned at the edges (but not fully baked), 13 to 15 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, mix the preserves with the spinach puree in a small bowl.
6. Spread the blueberry mixture over the partially baked oat layer, then sprinkle with the reserved oat mixture. Bake until the topping is slightly browned, 20-25 minutes. Set the pan on a rack to cool completely before cutting. Cut into either 12 large bars, or into smaller squares.