Pages

Friday, October 26, 2012

Journey #1: Overcoming Life's Obstacles

In order to get a clear picture of who I am and what I want to do, I think that it is important to share some details of my own journey.  In 2006, I was unexpectedly diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis.  Many people struggle with this disease and its symptoms for years, and for me it was a true life changer.  In just two short years, I tried almost every drug on the market, including Remicade, which was my last chance for remission.  Lucky me, I failed that miserably.  So, in May of 2008, weighing just 100 lbs, I was admitted into the hospital for high doses of steroids.  Ten days later I was still not any better, so I had to consider other options.  My surgeon told me that he was going to remove my colon.  I can't even explain what was going through my head at this point.  I was scared, but I knew that I couldn't continue to live in pain like I was doing for the past two years.  I made the decision to go through with it and ultimately got my life back!  Five surgeries later, I am as "normal" as I will ever be...I can enjoy life again!  My recovery was LONG, but with the help of family and friends, I made it through.

I have always been interested in health and fitness, but this experience put everything into perspective for me.  If we don't have our health, what do we have?  It is my goal to take my passion for teaching (I taught high school for 7 years), my love of cooking, and my desire to be healthy and strong, and make it readily available to others.

My plan is to include weekly (maybe even daily) recipe ideas, exercise tips, and just general thoughts that may help to lead someone in a healthier direction.

I am looking forward to sharing my journey with you!


3 comments:

  1. This is a great idea, AQY! I look forward to more posts. You definitely have a lot to offer others!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm constantly searching on the internet for posts that will help me. Too much is clearly to learn about this. I believe you created good quality items in Functions also. Keep working, congrats! bereavement support

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s my belief mesothelioma can be the most lethal cancer. It contains unusual characteristics. The more I look at it the greater I am certain it does not respond like a true solid tissues cancer. In the event mesothelioma is often a rogue virus-like infection, therefore there is the chance for developing a vaccine along with offering vaccination for asbestos open people who are really at high risk associated with developing future asbestos associated malignancies. Thanks for sharing your ideas about this important health issue. CBD edibles Cleveland Ohio

    ReplyDelete