Pages

Monday, November 11, 2013

Accidental Butternut Squash "Bread Pudding"

A few weeks ago I was in the grocery store and it seemed like a really good idea to buy two huge butternut squash.  I guess I had plans of roasting it to make soup or something of the like.  Instead, these poor things sat on my counter day after day.  Finally, I decided to roast them both, but the problem was then I just had a huge container of roasted butternut squash.  I started to get some eye rolls when I would pull it out for a side dish, so I figured it was time to put it to use in another way.

My original intention was to make muffins, but two rusty muffin tins and no muffin liners later, I was faced with making a bread.  The recipe that follows is what happened.  Due to the fact that I (a.) didn't follow a recipe and made this up and (b.) used a loaf pan instead of making muffins, this didn't turn out how I expected.  Honestly, sometimes that is the best thing that can happen!  I ended up with this delicious bread that is SUPER moist and almost has the consistency of bread pudding.  You could eat it with a spoon if you want!  If you are looking for a more traditional type of bread, try cutting back on the squash, eliminate the applesauce, and maybe add a few more eggs.  You'll have to experiment!

Hopefully you all will like this as much as I do…what a great surprise!

Accidental Butternut Squash "Bread Pudding"



Ingredients:

1.5 cups of cooked butternut squash
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
2 eggs
2 cups coconut flour
1/3 cup almond flour
1 T baking powder
1 T cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 T black strap molasses
1 cup raw coconut crystals
1 T lemon zest
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 tsp salt

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Mix squash, applesauce, eggs, vanilla, molasses, and lemon zest.  In a separate bowl, combine flours, cinnamon, nutmeg, coconut crystals, baking powder, and salt.  Slowly add dry ingredients to wet and stir to combine.  Gently fold in raisins.  Place mixture in muffin tins, or in a greased bread pan. 

If you are making muffins, bake for 30-35 minutes.  The bread will need to bake for 60-65 minutes.  Because this bread is so moist, a toothpick will probably not come out clean, but the raw eggs will be cooked after this amount of time.  

Enjoy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment